Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Cultural values in childrens texts

Dear reader,
Yesterday we have been in the library in Blue Ash and I have to say that libraries here are pretty much the same like in Germany. It is split into a part for children and one for grown up people. The part for the grown ups is seperated in a fictional and a non fictional area. The furniture in the children's area is very tiny but it's just perfect for children.
The two books I have chosen are "I am A Shark" and "Sebastian's Roller Skates". "I am A Shark" is a book for very young children and is about hammerhead sharks in general. It gives some information like how many teeth a shark can have and how he floats and so on. "Sebastian's Roller Skates" is more intensive concerning action. It is much more connected to what I read when I was young, since there is a complete plot and to me much more reason to read it. The language in both books was very easy to understand. I didn't have any problems concerning language there. In the end of the shark-book there is even a small explanation of some words like fins. The illustrations were well fitting and very colourful and the colors were soft which is quite normal for this sort of books.
Back to "Sebastian's Roller Skates"...I really liked this book and as I said it is the sort of book I read when I was small. It is about a boy who doesn't talk much and who is very shy, but as he finds some rollerskates and moreover learns to skate, he gets more and more open and in the end he isn't shy at all anymore. Although this is what I expected after the first 3 pages, it is funny to read such stories.
To me it is very obvious that any child can identify with the little Sebastian, since many many children are shy while talking to older persons. Disregarding where they are from or how they grow up, such stories can help children to become more confident, which is one of the most important characteristics to me!

Children's texts in general show how children grow up and which values should be implicated in their education. Getting a good portion of self confidence and several important general rules are being focused in such books, so that children learn about these things very early. Although some parts might change in different countries, the main points fit to the whole world and that's why we have in general the same topics in German books like here.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dennis,

    I like how you have made some generalizations about common elements in children's stories both here and in Germany. The two books you chose were very different, like you said, one had action and the other didn't, but you were able to find similarities and that shows very good analytical and comparison skills - good job.

    See you tomorrow,
    Jody

    ReplyDelete